Windmill Hill Pit.
Windmill Pit photographed
in the 19th century (reproduced courtesy Derby Museum and Art
In 1160 it was referred
to as 'the ordeal pit'.
The land for a time
in the 18th century belonged to the painter Joseph Wright of Derby.
Above the pit, immediately
behind the trees in the background, was Mill House (built in the
18th century) and its estate,
the residence of Archer Ward who financed the Agard Street Chapel.